At our Catechist In-Service meeting the other night, our Elementary Faith Formation Coordinator told us her Top Ten Reasons Catechists Volunteer to teach the faith to children.
- Because we care about others
- Volunteering fills our Need to be Useful/Helpful
- Provides a Sense of Purpose
- An opportunity for Socializing
- Feeling of Achievement
- Teaching is a Challenge
- Demands Creativity
- Develops Leadership Skills
- Allows Self-Expression
And the top reason Catechists volunteer to teach the faith is…
10. Catechists are responding to a Calling . . . or an e-mail.
Pope Francis said, “Being a Catechist is a Vocation.” Is it Your Calling?
Are You Interested in Learning More?
Are you interested in learning more about becoming a Catechist? We invite you to listen our Of Sound Mind and Spirit podcast episode “Are You Called to Teach the Faith?” where we discuss the reasons why Catechists teach the faith to children and answer the question, “What is a Catechist?”
Catechist Suggested Reading List
Below is our Reading List to help you grow and develop as a Catechist.Catechist Reading List